Mike Holden wrote:
Jonathan Gordon wrote:
the h300/e200 ports have had nothing assigned to the rec button for
over 2 years now... I think we can all agree they are spare... new
ports its up to the developer, and exsisting targets... its up to the
custom builders

I /like/ the fact the rec button is unassigned on my 340 - I use it to
activate the screen without performing any function. Don't confuse this
use with the "1st button activates backlight" option - when I press vol+,
skip etc I want them to activate on the 1st press, not the 2nd.

I find this to be a very valuable feature on other targets. I need a way to turn on the backlight without causing side-effects. Undoing side-effects is annoying. I also don't like "First Keypress Enables Backlight Only" because then I need to know backlight state. For example, if I want to go to the next track without looking, do I press once and maybe only turn on the backlight or press twice and maybe skip an additional track?

This is the best argument I've seen for leaving an unused button.

--
Boris