Dominik Riebeling wrote:

Just consider this scenario: someone is creating a mix folder by
copying various files to it. He wants a given order. Now some files
are named with 0 prefixes, others not. He decides to not use 0
prefixes, possibly because of laziness, but leaves them on the files
he doesn't need to change at all -- if "05" is to become track 5 he
doesn't need to change anything. As for track "09" which should become
3 he'd use "3". Too far-fetched?

So he numbers the mix manually for most of the songs, but in the case of some songs that are already the right track number, he doesn't renumber them? This seems like a rather special case to justify throwing out user data.

well, treating a number as such includes stripping leading zeros from
it, at least from my understanding.
Where in my example did leading zeros show up that require stripping, then?

It won't do any harm on properly
named files, and I don't see a reason why a user would want to prefix
with 0 just to change sorting.
Because I expect to see the folder "007 - James Bond" before the folder "5th Element" even if I have natural sorting on for my tracks, among other things. It's not "7 - James Bond" it's "Double Oh 7". They're significant numbers, intentional and not accidental.