Mike Holden wrote:

Maybe leading zeros should only be stripped if another digit follows them?

I use names like 00RockFaves.m3u, 00ClassicRock.m3u for playlists that I
have created (as opposed to original artist albums), and the leading
zerozero is deliberately there to sort them at the top.

At the moment using natural sorting, 00RockFaves.m3u is sorted among the
"R" entries, totally defeating my intention in choosing that naming (and
not "natural" to my view!).

01Rock should sort before 02Rock, agreed, but should 01Rock sort before A
or before S?

Sounds to me that you're better off using ascii sort.
In any case, it would be interesting to see how windows does the
sorting, as the most users will be used to that way of doing it.

Maybe many, but we shouldn't assume that is the case. I personally have no
idea how Windows does it, and I wouldn't necessarily agree that just
because MS does it that that is the _right_ way to do it.

Windows does it in the same way as nautilus and other major file browsers. It ignores leading zeros.