On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Paul Louden <paulthen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've stated my position several times: I think we should decide whether we
> want to mimic the file browsers or not. If we do, I think we should mimic
> all their sorting quirks that we can, rather than suggest we're "like" them
> but with our own choices as to where to go our own way.

Well, I think we still have two options here:
1. completely mimic the file browser. In this case I agree with you
that we should mimic all quirks the browser used as reference has.
2. only mimic the browser in regards of numbers (or any other subset).
I think this is a viable alternative, though not all might agree.
Doing it this way we're not "like" the reference browser but simply
doing a (the most commonly noticed?) subset. If we chose to minic a
browser completely we immediately come across the question of which
browser to use as reference. I'm quite sure Explorer / Konqueror /
Nautilus behave differently in regards of prefixes like space, dot and
underscore. Which is a reason why I'd go for mimicing the part of this
"natural sorting" that's common among them.

 - Dominik