Thomas Martitz wrote:
Paul Louden schrieb:
Seriously, you can't be this mathematically challenged - if the feature can be enabled at all on Clip, then we can afford to have it permanently enabled. If we can't afford to have it permanently enabled, then there's not enough RAM to optionally enable it either.
Is this the new way of arguing about ram intensive features? So we don't we also enable dircache, ramcache, cuesheet support and a huge max files in directory setting by default? I mean, if a target can't handle that the options should be removed, correct?

I heavily disagree. Ram intensive features should always stay optional. People willing to give up some battery runtime for a feature are free to do so. People who are not get their maximum battery runtime.

You're changing points here - this was in response to the Clip objection and only the Clip objection. You said its limited RAM made permanently enabling this feature a bad idea. Responding to my response to that by pretending it was another point entirely doesn't get us anywhere.

Being user friendly in some cases requires we sacrifice a little RAM. If that weren't true we still wouldn't even have colour graphics. And especially not backdrop images, which take up quite a bit more RAM than this on several players for no user friendliness gain whatsoever. They just "look nice."

So - for most players it vastly improves the user friendliness because it's not a functionality you'd expect to have a toggle. You expect timestretch to happen automatically when you go to the pitch/speed screen and change speed.

For the Clip the size is not an issue because either A) the Clip doesn't have enough RAM to enable it in the first place so we can get rid of it, or B) The Clip is a flash target, and if you could turn it on temporarily there's no significant reason why it can't be left on anyway.