That sounds good. It would be good to be able on a system set for LDAP to be
able to expose the LDAP users known on the system to a list like the host
based authentication does.

Thinking about what you suggest, that would allow the system to pull the
latest LDAP info for that user whenever it is needed, and updated locally as
needed. Does the LDAP method support TLS?