I put some code in to see if I can log where the failure is, but to me it
looks like it is returning because
 if (ctdl_ldap_initialize(&ldserver) != LDAP_SUCCESS) {

  +               return;

  +       }

and I am not seeing any of the other messages you included in that function.
Recompiling and will test to see if that is what is happening.