I misread the message about missing commands in Debian (that was during installation, not after installation).

And although I discovered my mistake and now this VM works as I know it should, in my test it still fails to use the "test" of the AppImage, if I try to send some mail it just closes the App.

Note: this VM does not have direct Internet access, it uses a gateway for now.