Op 13-6-2011 9:28, Timo Kreuzer schreef:
It is possible to store the bootsector on a floppy. You cannot put reactos on a floppy.

It is possible yes, just not working right now. Perhaps broken code or broken floppy driver. ReactOS 0.2.7 is able to store FreeLoader (2.0) and bootsector to floppy, during the end of phase 1 bootcd ("install bootsector/bootloader to MBR, skip, or floppy). I've not had any luck with earlier (0.2.4 and 0.2.5 tried) or later ones (0.3.x , recent trunk builds). It seems Floppy needs to be 1.44MB as trying with a 360KB floppy drive didn't work at end of phase 1 (setup claiming "no disk in drive"). The good news is WinImage happily converts A: (yes, working in VMware, with A: being a 1.44MB file) to 360KB, and still ReactOS 0.2.7 can be loaded from FreeLDR located on A:

* ReactOS ISO (WinVblock driver likely needed as well). Tried it, immediate hang on FreeLDR
I don't understand what you mean. Of course you can boot from the ReactOS ISO.

I mean (Syslinux is a bootloader, MEMDISK loads/boots an image in memory)
1) BIOS --> A: bootsector --> Syslinux --> Memdisk --> [360KDISK.IMG --> FreeLDR bootsector --> FreeLDR -->] C:\REACTOS\NTOSKRNL.EXE 2) BIOS --> A: bootsector --> Syslinux --> FreeLDR bootsector --> FreeLDR --> C:\REACTOS\NTOSKRNL.EXE
3) BIOS --> A: bootsector --> FreeLDR -->  C:\REACTOS\NTOSKRNL.EXE
4) HDD/USB --> Syslinux --> Memdisk --> REACTOS.ISO (install ReactOS from an ISO) 5) CD --> Isolinux --> Memdisk --> ReactOS.ISO (install ReactOS from an ISO located on multiboot-CD)

Your very recent realmode changes to FreeLDR might make above scenarios more doable. However with bootcd's phase 1 being unable to create a FreeLoader diskette, I'm kinda stuck. Already tried replacing diskette's FreeLDR 2.0 by a trunk version but that ends with a black screen, not even showing FreeLDR. I guess either diskette booting isn't supported anymore for recent FreeLDR and recent ReactOS, or bootsector changed.

Above scenario's :
1) loads FreeLDR from memory image, gets stuck loading NTOSKRNL. Good to see it works partially already at least.
2) not tested yet, but should work easily.
3) tested, works (for FreeLDR 2.0 + ROS 0.2.7)
4) not tested recently, even if loading succesfully, you'd end up in protected mode quite fast, only way to find the ISO's contents in RAM (and continue installing) is that WinVblock driver
5) not tested

A working implementation of loading/mounting a ISO9660 image file, despite protected mode, is Parted Magic (Linux based).

But I guess you and other developers should just continue doing what you're good at, undisturbed/undistracted, and at some point we'll see PXE-booting working after which above stuff is easier to accomplish as well.