Mesa is really not a good example of something that should be added to the
ROS tree due to desired functionality. Its src is almost 5K files by
itself, when trunk is only a little under 20K files. Then there's its
rather esoteric build setup. I'm mildly curious as to whether Kamil
actually built it on Windows or if he needed to pull off a
cross-compilation on Linux instead. Getting RosBE to be able to build Mesa
is a nontrivial exercise. To try to incorporate Mesa is to take on a large
engineering task for what is not necessarily a big payoff. We have an
existing opengl implementation. Its performance sucks, sure, but if you
wanted actually performant 3D graphics you would need to go and install a
proper graphics driver anyway. For out of the box, all it needs to do is
provide a sufficient degree of compatibility.

SVN also has the equivalent of modules, externals. The project just never
bothered setting up the repo to make use of them.

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Hermès BÉLUSCA-MAÏTO <hermes.belu...@sfr.fr