This is how RG 1.2.3 looks now in my screen:

http://www.picturetrunk.com/uploads/5886cf38ee.png

I cannot gain any more space for my tracks if I want to keep the panel
visible. The blank space at the bottom left Makes Me Cringe (tm).

While I can always resort to the Gates Solution (buy better hardware)
I think that there is still some room (literally) for improvement for
us poor 1024'ers.

I thought I was clear in my suggestions but, sure, find here a mock-up of them.

http://www.picturetrunk.com/uploads/8f2842da2c.png

The Instrument and Bank checkboxes could be substituted for a [none]
option in the respective combo boxes.

If you like it and this panel is described in a Qt designer .ui file,
please point it to me and I'll be glad of modifying it to reflect my
concept (well, I wouldn't say it's MY concept, you can see from miles
away where does this come from.) If it is generated algorithmically I
think I will remain on the cheap side, sorry.

Regards,

Luis