> It had something to do with the Bluecurve theme trying to fold up the colour

Aye, changing KDE theme to Plastik gained me 100 pixels (from 356 to
256) and now the combos display a scroll bar. Never been one to fool
around with themes and colour schemes unless they are downright
annoying.

For those in the same situation you can install the 57 MB of the
kdebase package plus friends to get the comfy config applet or simply
change

~/.kderc/share/config/kcmthememanagerrc

to look like this:

[General]
CurrentTheme=Plastik

> It's undeniable that the parameter boxes could take up less space and that
> that might be a nice thing, but your screenshot shows something worse than

Yup, still 256 pixels out of 1024 look too much, plus 230 for the
track names. I guess in the end it depends on your pattern of usage.

Clearly low priority, anyway. Thanks for the Bluecurve pointer.

Cheers,

Luis