Hi, I am a beginner with Rosegarden and indeed with sound editing. I am struggling with what appears to be everybodies first problem: getting sound out of my computer.
The FAQ:
https://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#playback_and_recording has 2 lines of explanation and then declares the rest obsolete. Those 2 lines mention ALSA (apparently the Linux kernel sound system) and JACK, but it is not clear whether I need to use (and configure in RoseGarden) both ALSA and JACK, or one of them excluding the other, or that they co-exist. I would appreciate some elaboration.

What I have now:
Kubuntu 20.04
Rosegarden "Yesterday" 19.12 (packaged with Kubuntu).
When I first started Rosegarden it warned me I need a software synthesizer, specifically QSynth: but QSynth is not in Ubuntu.

Instead I installed anything I could find for JACK:
        JACK Keyboard
        QjackCtl
RoseGarden appears to start jackd:
/usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -T -d alsa

I also installed anything mentioning fluidsynth:
        Fluidsynth DSSI
        SoundKonverter
The former mostly installs libraries, and an application fluidsynth-dssi.desktop, which refuses to start because it says it needs the program 'jack-dssi-host' which it can't find, and neither can I.

Finally I installed anything mentioning timidity:
        timidity itself
        (and soundKonverter again)

Now I managed to write a 1-bar composition in Rosegarden and save it.
When I play it in RoseGarden, it does not complain and it appears to oblige, the indicater at the lower left shows activity: but no sound.
The apparatus and instrument are default: Audio #1.
I could choose Synth-plugin but it cannot find any plugins.
I also exported the test composition to MIDI (.mid), and when I close Rosegarden (won't work if it remains open) and run:
$ timidity /home/tom/rosegarden/test.mid
Playing /home/tom/rosegarden/test.mid
MIDI file: /home/tom/rosegarden/test.mid
Format: 1  Tracks: 2  Divisions: 480
Copyright: Copyright (c) xxxx Copyright Holder
Cue point: Created by Rosegarden
Cue point: http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
Track name: test
Playing time: ~6 seconds
Notes cut: 0
Notes lost totally: 0

I do get sound.

So my question is:
what is missing in the components and configuration?
--
Tom