Op 08-02-2021 om 14:05 schreef Tom Peters:
<snip>

That said, I wonder if you can recommend a simpler and more complete alternative. What I have been looking for is a tool to generate scores and accompanying sound files to study scales and tunings, as examples for my website on music theory (http://arpeters.net/Nederlandse_paginas/Muziekleer/Inhoud.htm : in Dutch). So nothing fancy with multiple tracks and driving an expensive synthesizer. From the description, Rosegarden would be able to do that, but from my initial experience I wonder if it isn't too heavy.
Any suggestions for alternatives?

Have you looked at Lilypond? It's a notation editor, focused on rendering high quality music print, but it also creates midi-files.

Drawback is that entering the notes is done "by hand", with a computer keyboard. There's an excellent companion for that, Frescobaldi, but still entering notes, rests etc. is done by hand.

If you're interested, I can guide you a bit through it, preferably by private mail and in Dutch..

regards, Jogchum