On 2/7/21 12:11 PM, Tom Peters wrote:
Hi, I am a beginner with Rosegarden and indeed with sound editing. I am struggling with what appears to be everybodies first problem: getting sound out of my computer.

First of all, I just want to take a moment to hang my head in disappointment that this is still so complicated 20 years after I first used Rosegarden. Twenty years!

but it is not clear whether I need to use (and configure in RoseGarden) both ALSA and JACK, or one of them excluding the other, or that they co-exist. I would appreciate some elaboration.

ALSA is basically the low level sound driver handler, and it provides MIDI communication functionality. JACK is a low latency audio server that allows multiple applications to share the hardware. These days, there is also PulseAudio, which is basically a high latency audio server that also allows multiple applications to share the hardware.

Latency matters, because you generally want things to be as responsive as possible. If you press a key on a keyboard or enter a note into Rosegarden, you want to hear the note at that time, not 1/3 of a second later.

What I have now:
Kubuntu 20.04

As do I.

Rosegarden "Yesterday" 19.12 (packaged with Kubuntu).
When I first started Rosegarden it warned me I need a software synthesizer, specifically QSynth: but QSynth is not in Ubuntu.

Sure it is.

$ apt-cache search qsynth
qsynth - fluidsynth MIDI sound synthesiser front-end

RoseGarden appears to start jackd:
/usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -T -d alsa

Rosegarden can and will start JACK if you don't already have it running, but if you want to use QSynth, it's better to start JACK and QSynth before you start Rosegarden.

You installed QJackCtl. That's the best place to start. Close all audio applications, then start QJackCtl. The default setup is generally an acceptable starting place.

Actually, let's back up. Here are the Ubuntu Studio packages I have installed myself:

$ dpkg -l|grep ubuntustudio|cut -d \   -f 3
ubuntustudio-audio
ubuntustudio-audio-core
ubuntustudio-audio-plugins
ubuntustudio-controls
ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings
ubuntustudio-performance-tweaks

I also have the Ubuntu Studio kernel:

$ dpkg -l|grep latency|cut -d \   -f 3|grep 5\.4\.0-65
linux-image-5.4.0-65-lowlatency
linux-modules-5.4.0-65-lowlatency

These packages bring in a bunch of audio and synth plugins, as well as a kernel that better supports low latency audio. You will want to install all that stuff, then reboot to put the new kernel to use.

Let's see... The actual package to install whatever the current lowlatency kernel is would be:

linux-image-lowlatency

I don't remember if pulling in the ubuntustudio packages pulled in that one or if I had to install manually. Anyway, get it installed, boot, and after you're running again, check to see that it's running.

Command line stuff is easier to post in an email, so the command line way is:

$ uname -a
Linux omnitonic 5.4.0-65-lowlatency #73-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 18 18:17:38 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The key words to look for there are "lowlatency" and "PREEMPT," and these indicate that I have the right kernel running. By default (still, 20 years later, sigh) Linux isn't a friendly environment for audio, because it puts the needs of having 10,000 simultaneous users ahead of other considerations. On a home audio computer, you typically just have one user logged in, and you want your audio to work well, even if it impacts other processes. That's what this gobbledegook is all about.

I apologize for the fact that I'm rambling, and this message is a bit disorganized. I haven't discussed this topic in a very long time.

So my question is:
what is missing in the components and configuration?

After you've installed the bits from ubuntustudio and booted your new low latency kernel, log into your desktop.

First, run QJackCtl. The default settings may work. If it doesn't start automatically, try hitting the start button.

If that doesn't work, we'll get into configuring it.

Once QJackCtl says "started" and it's showing green, start QSynth.

I just did that, and it came up in the system tray. Click the system tray icon to pop up the QSynth window.

Click the Setup button. Click the Audio tab. Set audio to "jack" and check "auto connect JACK outputs."

Click the Soundfonts button.

Now... Hmmm... This is where my local setup isn't going to be helpful. If you don't already have it installed, go install:

fluid-soundfont-gm

That will get you a soundfont in /usr/share/sounds/sf2 somewhere. In fact, your out of the box QSynth install may already be pointing at:

/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2

If not, point it that way. Now save the config and start QSynth's engine. I think it will ask "do you want to restart the engine" or something along those lines. Sorry, not actually changing my own config.

So with those two pieces in place, now you can start Rosegarden and load a demo file. It should play. Maybe.

Sorry again for the long, rambling tone of this reply. Hopefully this can serve as a jumping off point for a discussion that ultimately proves helpful to you.

--
D. Michael McIntyre