Yes, "we really [are] searching here for NEXT STEP solutions for 'small
providers or their agents' who have managed only to create a valid
interchange message."  Big private exchanges would be welcome to use our
recommendations if they cared, of course -  but we want implementable
solutions for the "little" people.

In that spirit, and in line with my e-mail yesterday, perhaps we should
start enumerating the various protocols that providers and payers are
likely to use (for describing EDI addresses in the "directory").  I
would be inclined to ignore the various legacy dial-up techniques, but
others may not be so inclined.  And, obviously, someone who uses
expensive point-to-point leased lines doesn't need a "directory" because
they're already connected to the other party!

I would like to start off by suggesting simple old e-mail using S/MIME
attachments.  It's bi-directional, and everyone can use it today - at
least as long as they're using standard e-mail clients like Outlook,
Outlook Express or Netscape Communicator - but not the non-standard AOL
play toy.  The Microsoft-haters who use UNIX may have trouble with
standard ITU X.509 certificates, so we'll have to accommodate PGP
security. We should also provide for zipping (compressing) the EDI
before encryption, too.  This minimalist technique accommodates both the
"disenfranchised" and the BIG PAYER (who can presumably automate his
side of things in a lights-out fashion).  I can even see the little
"disenfranchised" doctor - the one who does his own electrical work -
cobbling together scripts to automate his e-mail client to do this, in
addition to coding up his own Javascript to build 837s and 270s (or to
parse 835s and 271s)!

I would add EDIINT into the mix, both the AS1 (SMTP e-mail) and AS2
(HTTP) varieties;  the software is somewhat available, though probably
not affordable, for the "little" person.  And FTP, too, even though the
"little" person might not have his own FTP server:  he may have to poll
drop-boxes if he insists on using FTP on the receive side.  I would also
leave a placeholder for ebXML Messaging Services, because that's the
"Next Big Thing" - and software vendors are falling all over each other
to provide practically free messaging service handlers (MSH).

Have I exhausted all the possibilities?  If not, people better speak up
now, or else we might forget to add your favorite transport and
packaging protocols to the EDI addressing specification!  We definitely
need the VANs and CHs to chime in here with the means and manner with
which trading partners connect to them.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320