From: William J. Kammerer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 11:04 AM
To: WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing
Subject: Small Provider Software Vendors: Clearinghouse or mere business
assoicate?

If the small provider's software is capable of generating and receiving
HIPAA compliant transaction sets, then hopefully (based on what we do
here in the WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing group) address discovery will be
child's play!

But I think if I were a software vendor, it probably would be easier to
distribute and maintain code which sent the required data to me, and
then I would package it up as a standard transaction - making me
something more than a mere software vendor.  Would I then become a
clearinghouse now that I take (non-standard) data and convert it to
standard transactions?  Would that now make me a covered entity?  Or as
the doctor's out-sourced "IT department," can I call myself a mere
"business associate"? - this sounds like it has less onerous demands
than a "covered entity."

There are various reasons the practice management software vendor would
want to centralize EDI handling in his own shop, including "locking" the
provider into his clearinghouse service.  But, also, the vendor could
avoid either coding what in effect is an EDI translator,  or licensing
pieces parts of a translator to include in each system he sells to
providers.  The vendor then only needs one translator (though licensing
terms from the translator vendor are generally more onerous for a third
party service provider), and can more easily keep up to date with
changes to the standard HIPAA transactions - otherwise, he needs to keep
all the PM systems he sold maintained out in the field.

The advantages of standard transactions still accrue to the provider,
though, even if the doctor's software is not directly handling them.
Costs should be lower, since at least the software vendor is on an even
playing field with all payers:  the software vendor is not dependent on
other CHs since he can "talk" directly to the payers or their agents
using the standard transaction sets.

The "(clever) doctor" still could do all this stuff himself, or use a
Practice Management system that handles all aspects of standard
transactions and address discovery (making the doctor completely
self-reliant).  And he could also do his own plumbing and electrical
work.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320