Kepa,

Actually, the NAIC coding method does support PlanID capabilities for
those that chose to support it.  I have my Aetna card which shows "Payor
Number: 60054 0106" (PayorID/PlanID). I also have a grp: number and my
member number on the card.

So, I've never understood why it's so difficult to accept this as the
standard criteria on any insurance card.  I would prefer the numbers be
contained in a Bar Code/magnetic strip readable format  with a checksum
digit to ensure proper entry, then have it scanned rather than manually
entered.

The 5+4 does have it's limitations and not all plans have to be
registered or obtain a NAIC code (but maybe the National Plan ID will
solve this).  It seems to be working for the zip code system, you'd
think it could work for the Payor/Plan based system.

Regards,
-RB

>>> Kepa Zubeldia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/11/02 05:29PM >>>
William,

As it turns out, it is likely that my local BCBS will have a good
number
of PlanIDs under HIPAA. Perhaps in the hundreds, as Regence BCBS has a

multitude of plans in several states.

A provider that sees a HIPAA PlanID and has a connection with a
clearinghouse as well as a connection with REgence BCBS will have to
determine whether the transaction goes to REgence BCBS or to the
clearinghouse that acts as "gateway to the rest of the world".

Today we are not yet using PlanIDs, but PayerIDs. With PayerIDs life is

a lot easier because Regence BCBS will have only one Payer ID. But,
with PlanIDs Regence would have a good number of health plan under
administration, each one with its own PlanID, indistinguishable from
any
other PlanID out there. The same will happen to all other payers.

Can you imagine the confusion if we don't have a good way to map from
PlanID to Payer?

Kepa

William J. Kammerer wrote:

> Chris:
>
> I'm just a populist at heart!
>
> But I'm also a little confused! If you (a provider) have a standard
> claim transaction intended for a particular National plan ID, say
> 987654321, you would build a single 837 with the payer (or plan?)
> indicated in the NM1 within the 2010BB loop. You would not comingle
> claims for multiple payers or plans, like a CH might (as Bob Poiesz
has
> illustrated).
>
> So, who else's ID - other than the payer's - would be in the ISA
> receiver field? There does seem to be a relationship when standard
> transactions go from provider to payer, unmolested, via a VAN or
EDIINT