Bruce,
I realize this might be slightly off-topic, but it seems that what is
missing is a way to direct an individual provider's claim to a particular
insurance PLAN.  Hard-wiring the plan's identification into the provider's
ID (common today) is one way... hardwiring it into the payor's ID using the
proposed national "planID" system is another way.  But both of these seem
"wrong" to me.  Identification of the covered entity (and discovery of the
various ways of getting EDI messages to him/her) is ONE problem that should
be addressed with a system that is ONLY about entity
identification.  identification of various plans/lines of business within
an entity and making sure that a particular claim is adjudicated under the
appropriate plan-rules would seem to be a completely different issue from
identification of the CE.

EXAMPLE: At X12, I talked with several payors about a popular new variant
of "standard" vision coverage called "Video Display Terminal" or "VDT"
coverage.  The idea is that being parked in front of a "VDT" all day could
produce an ocular version of "carpal tunnel synd." and expose employers to
liability, etc.  So to be "proactive", and reduce exposure, companies are
purchasing VDT coverage, typically for "high risk" employees to have in
addition to the standard vision benefit.  The doc does some special
testing... perhaps simulating actual working conditions... recommends
special lenses designed for "VDT" viewing distances, etc.  In most cases,
the covered employee gets one pair of glasses under his regular plan and a
second one under the VDT plan.

The problems faced by payors is that the services and eyewear on the VDT
claims may be identical to those billed to the regular plan.   DX codes are
rarely even looked at by vision adjudication systems because they are
either "refractive" (myopia, astigmatism, etc.) or symptomatic (eye strain,
headache, diplopia, etc.)... and these would not be sufficient to
distinguish between a claim for a "regular" plan and one for a "VDT"
plan.  It seems to me that "which plan?" or "which line of business?"
should be answered in a separate field in the 837 and not combined with the
entity-ID field.

-Chris

Christopher J. Feahr, OD
http://visiondatastandard.org