----- Original Message -----
From: "Rachel Foerster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Christopher J. Feahr, OD'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'Dave Minch'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, 05 April, 2002 06:43 PM
Subject: RE: Are only 15 characters in the ISA receiver ID enough?

Chris,

This issue of defining who the "real" sender and receiver are was
brought up early in this list's history. At that time I strongly
recommended that a project glossary be developed so that, at least for
discussion purposes here, we would have clear definitions of terms.
Alas....

On the other hand, at that time I also did a rather thorough search of
all of the HIPAA IGs and throughout all of them there is the consistent
intent and use of the sender being either the provider or payer and the
receiver being either the payer or provider. Nowhere in any of the HIPAA

guides is there a explicit or implicit statement that the sender is just
the next hop for the interchange. In other words, the provider and payer
are the real trading partners for purposes of the HIPAA transactions,
and intermediaries, whether clearinghouses or something else, are just
that - an intermediary between the true end-point business partners.

Perhaps it's useful to think about the U.S. Postal Service as a
metaphor. The address on the envelope is always the end-point receiver,
and not the next Post Office facility that the envelope may pass
through. This is the model that the X12 interchange envelopes follow as
well.

Rachel
Rachel Foerster
Principal
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.
Professionals in EDI & Electronic Commerce
39432 North Avenue
Beach Park, IL 60099
Phone: 847-872-8070
Fax: 847-872-6860