William,

Regarding, ZZ, may be a para as to what an entity risks to loose if it uses
ZZ may be provided.

EDI (traditionally) is conducted between 2 frequently communicating parties,
who establish their relationship offline. I do not see HIPAA being any
different from that, particularly in light of the scope provided by the
Guides for customization between 2 trading partners.

You wrote:
>I'm inclined to believe that addressing the receiver should be
independent of who the sender is.  So I'm uncomfortable with your
suggestion to use the ISA SENDER ID and the GS SENDER ID for selecting
between alternate "EDI addresses."

I have provided "reason" for including ISA and GS Sender ID.

You have to see:
(1) If the reason ("load distribution") is to be considered or not.
(2) If yes, then alternatives to ISA/GS SENDER ID can be thought of .

Ajay