On Wednesday, 18 July 2007, at 12:03:01 (+0200),
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

>   Log:
>     It is both confusing and problematic that the current RPM 5 on
>     HEAD labels itself as just "5.0" and this way looks like the final
>     release version. As for the snapshots we also need a clear labeling,
>     let's start using "N.M.DEVEL" for the development state in CVS and
>     "M.M.SNAPSHOT.YYYYMMDD" for the daily snapshots from CVS.
>
>     This way the snapshot and development versions can be clearly
>     distinguished and especially not confused with any forthcoming RPM 5
>     _release_ versions.
>
>     BTW, I've thought very long what separation character to use. Other
>     OSS projects usually use "-" instead of "." in front of "DEVEL" and
>     "SNAPSHOT", but this is too problematic for us in the RPM world (think
>     a dot for now as this seems to be the best compromise.

I've been in favor of most of your changes, but this is simply
garbage.  It's simply another example of confusing identification with
signification which I thought we had hashed out with Thomas long ago.
But for some reason the OpenPKG team seems hell-bent on putting every
possible marker on tarballs, presumably for the Good of the Users (of
which there are practically none), despite the simple fact that it
causes problems with download scripts and spec files and such for no
real gain.

The information necessary to distinguish rpm-5.0.tar.gz files from
each other is in the spec file (5.0-0.x).  Anything else is
wangyanking.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>