On Mar 3, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:

> On 3/3/11 2:00 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

>>> (See above, it's internal)
>>
>> If its internal, then BeeCrypt/syck are in -lrpmmisc and
>> the fix needs to be spun slightly differently.
>
> My understanding is that rpmmisc has a reference to the libbeecrypt.so, but it
> doesn't contain a copy of it.  It's this referencing that is breaking on newer

Not my understanding of what SHOULD be happening (but I fail
to have a box running @rpm code atm).

I'm expecting (and the misc/librpmmisc.vers loader maps show this)
that internal libraries are bundled in their entirety into -lrpmmisc, and
external
libraries are added through DT_NEEDED.

There's a number of difficulties, largely from trying to please
everyone, so I('m not suprised at breakage (and am perfectly
willing to do the quick-and-dirty as in the patch. As indicated, been there
before).

> systems.  If you don't include both the reference and implementation when
> linking the final executable, newer versions of the linker will intentionally
> fail to link.  (There is an --as-needed flag that can be added to the link
> line.. this will revert the linker behavior to the old way of bringing in
> libraries "as needed" based on run-time references.)

Yes --as-needed is one of the additional linkage elements that
causes everything to break all over again again.

But RSE's design goal is perfectly sound and crisply KISS
even if subtle.

I know the issue ... will get a fix in place, as likely as not by just
applying the patch. Life's too short to wrestle with --as-needed.

Thanks for the additional info.