On May 22, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Robert Xu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Weak Dependencies like Suggests, Recommends, Enhances, Supplements,
> and Requires(missingok) are implemented already into RPM5, right?
> Just double-checking.

The flags and tags are reserved but again, there's sharp disagreement
about the need for weak dependencies ala SuSE.

My disagreement is that you can add a "strength" parameter,
and implement using an integer, where "strongest" maps
onto an integer comparison.

But who and how are the integers assigned? If done
with external configuration, then rpm installs
become indeterminate. If done statically in an external
file that is shipped with rpm and never changed, then
why is there a need for an external table?

I also dislie (and see no need) for Yet More Types of Dependencies.

At the time "weak dependencies" were added, there was concern
for SLES 10 compatibility (still using downrev rpm at the time).

So why is there a need to architect "weak dependencies" for
an essentially mainteneance only hysterical enterprise distro
shipped by a single vendor?

None of the "weak dependencies" are implemented anywhere outside
of SuSE afaik, including rpm.org.

hth