On May 23, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On May 23, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
>
>> * Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> [May 22. 2011 22:04]:
>>>
>>> I see no reason for anything _EXCEPT_ the usual PRCO Gang Of Four:
>>>     Provides:
>>>     Requires:
>>>     Conflicts:
>>>     Obsoletes:
>>>

>> From a pure RPM pov, I fully agree.

> I guess you've clarified my feeble objections.

Rather than discussing SuSE's implementation, and SuSE's usage cases
-- including vendor lockin becuase of divergence in packaging -- I should
summarize the positive points:

1) We seem to agree that RPM needs only the "Gang of Four" PRCO.

2) We seem to agree (but I can't tell) that there's a usage case for
additional types of metadata for use by depsolvers like zypper and
packagers and users.

3) We do not agree on what needs to be implemented @rpm5.org.

But I should point out that -- in spite of disagreement -- @rpm5.org
already has the means to extend tags in header metadata with arbitrary (i.e. no
attached semantic, no change to rpm code, the tag metadata ends up
in a *.rpm header for whatever purpose you choose) content string arrays.

You can indeed configure an @rpm5.org macro to handle (literally) all of these
tags:

        Suggests:
        Recommends:
        Enhances:
        Supplements:
        IWantToSeeMovies:
        IWantToShopAtAmazon:
        IAmAForeignSpeakerWhoNeedsADiffentLocale:
        IAmNotYetOfTheAgeOfConsentAndMyMommaSezIShouldntReadThisInformation:

and any other information that you wish, all with no attached semantic,
for use for whatever you wish to do outside of RPM code.

The data type is "string", and multiple uses of a tag add strings to an array,
and
all arbitrary tags can be indexed and queried through existing API's
if you are careful.

careful == its a one-way mapping from string -> uint30 | 0x40000000 and
so the name is known iff you have an identical configuration even if
the uint32 used internally is always known.