On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 15:06, Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> wrote:

> The flags and tags are reserved but again, there's sharp disagreement
> about the need for weak dependencies ala SuSE.

> At the time "weak dependencies" were added, there was concern
> for SLES 10 compatibility (still using downrev rpm at the time).

So it is in rpm5 for the time being...

> My disagreement is that you can add a "strength" parameter,
> and implement using an integer, where "strongest" maps
> onto an integer comparison.
>
> But who and how are the integers assigned? If done
> with external configuration, then rpm installs
> become indeterminate. If done statically in an external
> file that is shipped with rpm and never changed, then
> why is there a need for an external table?

Well, why would a strength table be needed? I see weak
dependencies as a "just added functionality" item and
strong dependencies as a "required definitely".

I'm not really sure I understood you correctly on that.

btw openSUSE explains it in their old wiki... they should
move it to the new wiki:

http://old-en.opensuse.org/Software_management/Dependencies

> I also dislie (and see no need) for Yet More Types of Dependencies.

Well, that's true.

> So why is there a need to architect "weak dependencies" for
> an essentially mainteneance only hysterical enterprise distro
> shipped by a single vendor?
>
> None of the "weak dependencies" are implemented anywhere outside
> of SuSE afaik, including rpm.org.

IIRC Mandriva also uses weak dependencies to a degree
with Suggests and stuff. Might be wrong.

--
later, Robert Xu