* Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> [May 23. 2011 15:57]:

> On May 23, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>

> > On May 23, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
> >
> >> * Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> [May 22. 2011 22:04]:

> >> From a pure RPM pov, I fully agree.

> > I guess you've clarified my feeble objections.
> >

> Rather than discussing SuSE's implementation, and SuSE's usage cases
> -- including vendor lockin becuase of divergence in packaging -- I should
> summarize the positive points:
>
> 1) We seem to agree that RPM needs only the "Gang of Four" PRCO.

Yes.

> 2) We seem to agree (but I can't tell) that there's a usage case for
> additional types of metadata for use by depsolvers like zypper and
> packagers and users.

I'd guess so.

> 3) We do not agree on what needs to be implemented @rpm5.org.

Actually nothing as long as rpm5 does not 'get in the way'. Reading
below, it apparently doesn't.

> But I should point out that -- in spite of disagreement -- @rpm5.org
> already has the means to extend tags in header metadata with arbitrary (i.e.
> no
> attached semantic, no change to rpm code, the tag metadata ends up
> in a *.rpm header for whatever purpose you choose) content string arrays.

Sounds promising.

> You can indeed configure an @rpm5.org macro to handle (literally) all of
> these tags:
>
>       Suggests:
>       Recommends:
>       Enhances:
>       Supplements:

Perfect.

>       IWantToSeeMovies:
>       IWantToShopAtAmazon:
>       IAmAForeignSpeakerWhoNeedsADiffentLocale:
>       IAmNotYetOfTheAgeOfConsentAndMyMommaSezIShouldntReadThisInformation:
>
> and any other information that you wish, all with no attached semantic,
> for use for whatever you wish to do outside of RPM code.

Except for the latter four tags (;-)), this fits the current
requirements.

> The data type is "string", and multiple uses of a tag add strings to an
> array, and
> all arbitrary tags can be indexed and queried through existing API's
> if you are careful.
>
> careful == its a one-way mapping from string -> uint30 | 0x40000000 and
> so the name is known iff you have an identical configuration even if
> the uint32 used internally is always known.

Thanks, thats good information for getting satsolver to work with rpm5.

Klaus
---
16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany