Peter wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:42 AM, Mario Beauchamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just wondering... now that rpy 2.0 seems to be the new thing,
>> does that mean rpy 1.0 will die? I am not ready yet to go 2.0 and I
>> still depend on windows installers for newer versions of R as they
>> come along but it seems that none are coming...

I do not see rpy die, but continue its way at least for some time.

I have picked the name rpy2 to allow a peaceful coexistence with rpy
(both can be installed in the same python library directory - but
importing both of them in the same python process might not be a good idea).

> Hopefully the backward compatibility interface in rpy 2.0 will
> eventually make upgrading from rpy1 to rpy2 simple.

That's the intent, but rpy2.rpy_classic is currently only providing
compatibility to a "large" part of rpy.

> In the meantime, I would assume the developers would accept Windows
> installers compiled by volunteers.

Yes.

I built the last rpy binaries, but stopped because:
- conception/design/implementation of rpy2 was taking a lot of time
- I could not access my development win32 machine for some time.

For rpy2, I am relying on builds kindly contributed by Laurent Oget.

>  These need updating for each new
> release of R, so the installers do get out of date.
>
> Its been a while but I have build rpy on Windows with Python 2.3 and
> MSCV 6.0 (the compiler used for the official Python 2.3 installation).
>  Cygwin's mingw32 compiler should also work (which is freely available
> software) for any version of python.

All compiling I have done was with mingw32.

Laurent