>>> Its been a while but I have built rpy on Windows with Python 2.3 and
>>> MSCV 6.0 (the compiler used for the official Python 2.3 installation).
>>
>> So it is possible then? I use the msvc toolkit (same compiler) to
>> build my extensions so if I could do the same with rpy, I would be
>> less dependent on installers.

When building python extensions, you are generally recommended to use
the same compiler as was used for python.  On Windows with the
official Python 2.3, this meant MSVC 6.0, but for later versions of
Python more recent MS compilers are used.

However, because rpy (and rpy2) interfaces both python and R,
compiling it is naturally potentially more complicated than an
ordinary python module with C code.

But yes, I can confirm that rpy1 could be compiled using MSVC 6.0 for
Python 2.3, however, this was at least a year ago and there will
probably have been changes since (e.g. R header changes), so it *may*
not work now.

>>>  Cygwin's mingw32 compiler should also work (which is freely available
>>> software) for any version of python.
>>
>> I am aware of mingw but want to avoid mixing compilers... and I'm not
>> that good at this stuff: I am mostly a pure Python programmer :)
>
> I don't think that R for win32 is (was ?) compiled with MSVC, but with
> mingw32.

You may end up with R, python and your extensions compiled with three
different compilers - it depends on what you mean by avoiding mixed
compilers ;)

Peter