发件人: Xu Xiaohu [mailto:x...@huawei.com]
发送时间: 2010年1月19日 15:33
收件人: 'Lixia Zhang'
抄送: 'RRG'; 'Paul Francis'
主题: re: [rrg] critique of RANGI

Yes. To simplify the implementation, we use CGA as host identifier currently.
Hence the value of n is set to 64.

> > (2)doing ID looking
> >> using DHT raises trust issue;
> >
> > In fact, we use the reverse DNS infrastructure as the id/locator
> > mapping
> > system, while the DHT is optionally used at the bottom level of this
> > infrastructure to make the authoritative server scale better.
>
> The Hiroshima RRG talk showed the other way around ...
>
> > This is my
> > assumption of a hierarchical DHT. IMHO, the hierarchical DHT doesn't
> > mean
> > DHT should be used in each level.
>
> DHT is used for lookups for systems with very large number of entries.
> With a hierarchical system, where the bottom level is not that big, I
> wonder what is the value of using DHT in the first place.

I don't want to introduce too many levels in the hierarchy. Hence, in a given
administrative domain (e.g., a state or a province), there may be a lot of
entries to manage.

> I did not following the first sentence below (what do you mean by
> using "AD ID as a key"?)

A detailed example is given as follows:

1. An AD ID is expressed as "country-code.authority-code.region-code" by
inserting dots between adjacent fields, then it is transformed into a FQDN
format string as "region-code.authority-code.country-code".
2. The above FQDN format string is used as a key in the reverse DNS
infrastructure to locate the corresponding authoritative server or the DHT ring
for that AD. If DHT is used to scale the bottom-level authoritative name
servers, the Local Host ID part is used as a key to locate the corresponding
peer which stores the mapping of that identifier.
3. The Local Host ID part is used as a key to locate the matching mapping entry
in the mapping table of the corresponding name server or the corresponding peer.

The following figure is a demonstration of the mapping system to be used in
RANGI.

> > The structured AD ID is used as a key in the reverse DNS
> > infrastructure to
> > locate the corresponding super authoritative server (or the
> > corresponding
> > DHT ring when using DHT to make the authoritative server scale
> > better) which
> > maintains mappings for the identifiers belonging to that
> > Administration
> > Domain. If DHT is used to scale the authoritative server, the Local
> > Host ID
> > (flat label) is then used as a key in that corresponding DHT ring to
> > locate
> > the node which holds the mapping for that identifier. Hence, this
> > mapping
> > system has reasonable business model and clear trust boundaries.
>
> Wonder if you have this described somewhere?
> I did not find it in http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-xu-rangi-01.txt

Details about the id/locator mapping system will be included in that draft or
described in a separate draft soon.

> >> RANGI critique
> >> More thought is
> >> needed as to what constitutes these levels, and what is the trust
> >> relation among the ID-Locator resolution servers that use DHT for
> >> lookup.
> >>
> >> The RANGI draft suggests FQDN->ID lookup through DNS, and separately
> >> an ID->locator lookup which may be DNS or may be something else.
> >> This
> >
> > Yes, the reverse DNS is used as an ID->locator mapping system in
> > RANGI, with
> > this approach there is no need for every host to have a unique FQDN.
>
> this sounds like as if having a FQDN for each host a drawback?

Not sure whether it is a drawback. However, since there is already a global
unique host identifier for each host in RANGI, which can be easily used for
id->locator lookup, it seems no need to assign each host a unique FQDN.

> >> represents additional cost compared to ILNP design where FQDN lookup
> >> produces both ID and locators. Can one quantify the gain by one
> >> additional lookup to justify the cost?
> >
> > Yes, I know. However, ILNP design requires that every host should
> > have a
> > unique FQDN for ID and locator lookup.
>
> could you elaborate what may be the problem with this as you see?

The reason I can thought why ILNP requires each host has a unique FQDN is: the
flat EIDs to which the sessions are bound are not suitable for EID->Locator
resolution, so another namespace (i.e., FQDN) is referred to.

My doubt is how a legacy host continues the communication to an ILNP-aware host
once the latter changes its locator due to mobility or re-homing event. Note
that the legacy host will not resort the DNS to get the new locator of the
ILNP-aware host.

> >> Unfortunately the early-adopter incentive for host upgrade strikes me
> >> as weak at best.
> >
> > We have the RANGI-PROXY [I-D.draft-xu-rangi-proxy-01] mechanisms
> > with which
> > legacy hosts could initiate communications to RANGI-aware hosts, and
> > vice
> > verse.
>
> Is it fair to say that RANGI-PROXY is a similar idea to LISP's PTRs?

To be more accurate, the site proxy is similar to LISP ITR while the transit
proxy is similar to LISP PTR.

Xiaohu