On 2010-02-04 05:45, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: "Joel M. Halpern" <j...@joelhalpern.com>
>
>     > definitionally, there really is not that much growth left in IPv4.
>
> Not necessarily; mind, I don't _know_ that there is going to be more growth,
> but I can see plausible circumstances where there is continued substantial
> growth in the number of routes in the DFZ.
>
> E.g. if some organizations which currently have large chunks of the
> globally-visible IPv4 namespace drop back to using smaller chunks of the that
> namespace, and the chunks they return are broken up into many smaller pieces
> for use by a number of currently non-connected entities.

That is the true unknown for IPv4 - now that we have reached the end game
in prefix allocation, will the resulting food fight recreate a swamp of
a few million tiny prefixes that can't be aggregated?

This is the main reason that my CCR paper says: don't extrapolate the graphs.
We really don't know if the number of prefixes per origin AS will remain
stable or grow signficantly.

> The exact shape of the future can be awfully hard to predict. If you'd asked
> people back in 1995 if we'd be here today, people would probably have gawked
> at you... Never say 'Never'... :-)

And yet, they did deploy CIDR, which put us where we are today.

   Brian