Hi patte,

In "Re: SIP will work fine with CES, CEE won't work with NAT"
(msg05919) you wrote:

>>> If you take the core-edge philosophy and apply that on the address
>>> space - creating a hierarchical address space the endpoints can still
>>> be identified though they use the same edge space.
>>
>> I wouldn't describe CES architectures such as LISP as involving
>> "hierarchical address space", so I am not sure what you are referring
>> to.  How could the "edge" addresses of LISP (EIDs) or Ivip (SPI
>> addresses) be used so that two hosts could be separately identified,
>> separately used for communications or whatever, when they are on the
>> same "edge" address?
>>
>> The "edge" addresses are a subset of the global unicast address
>> space.  Unless used as anycast addresses, any such address - in
>> either the "core" or "edge" subset - can be used to identify only one
>> host.
>
> I used the LISP terms to link it to hIPv4, to make it easier to
> capture, but perhaps I'm just mixing up peoples mind by doing that
>
> You are right about what you are saying about CES, there is no
> "hierarchical address space" in a CES architecture - you are
> preserving the flat, global unique address space there
>
> I was inspired by LISP and had a little misunderstanding how it really
> works :-)

Misunderstandings can be useful.

There are occasions when the experts know something can't or
shouldn't be done.  Then a non-expert blunders in, not realising
this, does it anyway - and makes it work better than the experienced
folks could have imagined.

For some reason I assumed LISP ITRs used the sending host's address
in the outer source address of the encapsulated packets.  Then I
found it was useful in Ivip for extending ISP BR filtering to the
ETR's decision of whether to forward or drop the inner packet - after
which I discovered that LISP uses the ITR address for the outer
source address.

> Nevertheless I took the core-edge split philosophy from
> there and applied it also on the address space (to see where it goes),
> dividing the currently flat address space into one global unique
> address space, called Area Locators (ALOC) and several regionally
> unique edge-address spaces, called Endpoint Locators (ELOC).

OK . . .

> This gives you the possibility to build a new routing architecture -
> you will have two types of DFZ:
>
> - a global DFZ that is containing only ALOC prefixes, only service
>   providers should have the possibility to apply for an ALOC prefix so
>   the size of this global DFZ should be less than 100k for a very very
>   long period
>
> - several edge-DFZ, each service provider will have their own edge-DFZ
>   and the edge-DFZ will contain the following prefixes:
>
>    * the global ALOC prefixes
>
>    * the directly attached PA-addresses (mostly residential users
>      and small businesses)
>
>    * the directly attached PI-addresses from multi-homed enterprises.
>
> As you can see, the directly attached PA/PI-addresses never goes into
> the global DFZ and thus prefixes from one edge-DFZ doesn't go into
> another edge-DFZ. Also if you have BGP churn in a edge-DFZ it is not
> reflected to rest of the Internet.
>
> So I claim that hIPv4 is providing a new routing architecture - it is
> either not a CES or a CEE - it is something else.

I look forward to reading about hIPv4 properly.  Based on a cursory
reading I thought it was a CEE architecture.

> And it seems that
> you have to do something to the address space in order to get a new
> routing architecture. There are also challenges and issues, can they
> be worked through or not reminds to be seen. An outcome of this
> approach is also that IPv4 addresses can be reused, if hIPv4 is
> adopted we should see less NAT in the future.
>
> To speed up transition hIPv4 should cooperate with a CES approach, it
> will take time before hosts' stacks are upgraded.
> But first, is the hIPv4 technically correct, is there something that
> is broken???

I hope to read about it and write to you on the list with my
understanding, queries, etc. towards the end of the week.

> Then you have all the transition issues, hIPv4 will have an impact on
> the service providers and RIRs so they should analyze and either
> accept or deny the approach - but this step should be taken if hIPv4
> is technical doable.
> The final frontier is the end users, but I think MP-TCP will do the
> job for us there
> And for sure, hIPv4 is not perfect but is it good enough..?.

After discussing it with you on the list, I plan to write a critique
- since I think no-one has done so yet.

  - Robin