> Most likely, this would imply routing towards the specific
> exit based on the packet's source locator in addition
> to the destination locator.  This is not part of the base
> ILNP spec as it exists today.

> well, does it need to be?

Good question.

I'm certainly happy to add some MAY language to the ILNP
base spec about an originating node having multiple
known Locator values indicating the node's preferred egress
by thoughtful selection of the Source Locator value.

I am very reluctant to require routers to use Source
Locators as part of their forwarding/routing procedures,
as it adds complexity, is not fully backwards compatible
with installed IPv6 routers, and because this kind of
thing seems a lot like a differentiating feature rather
than a required basic capability.

> If the host puts a src-locator on the packet it creates
> [then] it's up to the network/host folks to agree to
> src-route or agree to get overwritten.

In the end, routers along the forwarding path for any
IP (or ILNP) packet make a myriad of decisions based
on both global policy, originator decisions (e.g. which
destination to put into the packet if there are several),
and local policy (e.g. hot potato routing).

While an originating node gets some input into that
distributed computation/procedure, the node with the
packet at a moment in time inevitably has the ability
to make its own decision (some of which might result
in a packet taking a sub-optimal path or being lost).

> (Is the 'TE' at the whim of the host or the
> network? This sounds like shim6 discussions, to me)

Originator can indicate a preference, but originator
preference (in practice, no matter what any RFC says)
will not over-ride contrary local policy in some
router along-the-path as it forwards that packet.

Yours,

Ran