Amazing.  For years, I unsuccessfully try to spark discussions.  Then I say
that we're done and THAT sparks discussions.  ;-)

>> We still have the same old kludgy BGP global routing system we always had,
>> and _nothing_ has been proposed to improve/replace it.

Blatantly not true.  There's this thing called NIMROD that has been proposed to
replace it.  Perhaps you've heard of it?  ;-)

> No, but I suspect if we bolt on BGPSEC extensions and things like "periodic
> updates" and per router signing & validation of updates, we're going to need
> to work on a replacement in short order.
>
> Some of the smart folks here applying their perspective would certainly be of
> value, methinks.

I agree that some security needs to be deployed.  I'm not convinced that it
needs to be BGPSEC.  We've muddled along for many years and never found the
gumption to actually deploy anything.  Must not be important to people.  I
don't get it, but that's the observable behavior.

In any case, this doesn't seem like a research topic.  This is pretty clearly
an engineering issue.

Tony