On Nov 10, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Danny McPherson <da...@tcb.net> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Tony Li wrote:
[--snip--]
>> I agree that some security needs to be deployed.  I'm not convinced that it
>> needs to be BGPSEC.  We've muddled along for many years and never found the
>> gumption to actually deploy anything.  Must not be important to people.  I
>> don't get it, but that's the observable behavior.
>>
>> In any case, this doesn't seem like a research topic.  This is pretty
>> clearly an engineering issue.
>
> I don't agree.  The engineering solution that SIDR is actively working
> (RPKI-enabled BGPSEC) is pumping out standards track RFCs like there's no
> tomorrow.  The USG has stated intentions of "expediting secure routing work
> through the Internet standard process" and "fostering adoption through
> government procurement vehicles".
>
> As an operator this scares the hell out of me, especially considering what
> they've designed is largely a system to control "what's routed on the
> Internet and by whom".  They can't seem to do anything in BGP(SEC) without
> introducing the equivalent of "periodic updates", and undoing all the
> goodness of things like update packing completely.
>
> Some serious thinkers working on this problem would be goodness...

Let me add that I share Danny's concerns ...

However, let me try to take a step back and share with everyone a much broader
set of, potentially, architectural concerns that I'm not sure this RG
considered during the last round.

BGP was originally designed for flooding of reachability information.  But,
reachability information is the end-result /after/ the application of
_routing_policy_, describing "intent", by operators of individual networks
based on various contractual agreements they have with parties whom they
directly interconnect.  Assuming you agree with this premise, this presents a
paradox from a security PoV.  Specifically, if a downstream network does not
have visibility into its upstream network's routing policy is it
practical/feasible for the downstream network to understand the _intended_
propagation of reachability information and, ultimately, connectivity?
Furthermore, is it feasible to carry such information within the control plane
itself?  Or, should the control plane be relegated to carrying [strictly]
reachability information in real-time, while offboard systems carry
accompanying routing policy and security information in order to assist in
making "optimal" Inter-Domain rou
 ting/forwarding decisions?

A second concern is also related to the original design of BGP and what it has
organically involved into, today.  Specifically, BGP is /also/ now being tasked
as a generic "message bus" and service discovery mechanism.  Not to pick on
anyone, in particular, but the following are recent examples that come to my
mind wrt this trend:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-ls-distribution-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-operational-message-00
... and, there may be others.  Although, contrast those proposals with what
should be most concerning to people in this RG, and in the IETF:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling-05
In short, operators (such as myself) are _extremely_ concerned that a single
erroneous update results in a complete reset of BGP sessions.  Due to the
overwhelming success of BGP, it's now (and, has been for a while) a
mission-critical protocol, thus such catastrophic session resets -- caused by a
single malformed UPDATE -- are widely visible/impactful.  This impact is
compounded by the 'cost to recover'.  Namely, due to the large and growing
amount of information in the RIB (again, not just reachability, but also
service-discovery and completely orthogonal information), it takes longer to
exchange RIB information and, ultimately, restore services.  Is this really the
best we, as an industry, can do?

While the IETF IDR WG has been looking at mechanisms for how BGP may defend
against certain types of erroneous BGP UPDATE's for external BGP sessions:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-02
... there does not appear to be any [straightforward] answer with respect to
internal BGP sessions, given the requirement that BGP speakers internal to an
AS must have a globally consistent RIB and FIB, otherwise packet forwarding
loops will result.  And, in my personal operational experience it's _rarely_
the case that malformed UPDATE's are detected at the first ASBR (attached to an
eBGP neighbor) in my AS, thus it concerns me that mechanisms such as
draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-02 are an adequate solution to the problems we
experience.  IOW, as an operator I desire "defense in depth" where a
heterogeneous mix of vendor equipment (HW + SW), participating as interior BGP
speakers, have mechanisms to detect *and* automatically recover from malformed
UDPATE's received over iBGP sessions.  This is another area that I would point
research colleagues toward.

So, this raises the classic conundrum of: increasing complexity, increasing RIB
(and FIB) size information coupled with a contrasting need from operators who
are concerned about the robustness of the protocol and the requirement to NOT
sustain any failures[1].  Something's got to give.

Ultimately, this makes me question whether it's no longer _just_ growth of RIB
(and, FIB) size that this RG should be (primarily?) focused on.  Rather, will
the requirements for:
a) operational robustness, in the face of critical messaging errors in an
Inter-Domain Routing Protocol, which the IETF may be unable to address on its
own;
b) designing security as a first-class principle of an Inter-Domain Routing
Protocol -- either carried within or outside of control-plane reachability
information
c) increased scalability of RIB (and, other?) information
... lead us down a path of considering we may be approaching the
end-of-the-road for BGPv4 and we need something new?

Does anyone on this list share similar concerns wrt operational robustness,
time to recovery and (then) scalability of BGPv4?

-shane

[1] It is not cool to suggest that operators should just stop asking for new
features and we wouldn't have this problem.  :)