On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Jakob Heitz <jakob.he...@ericsson.com>wrote:

> What explosion?
>
> http://ripe63.ripe.net/archives/video/178
> http://ripe63.ripe.net/presentations/61-2011-10-31-bgp2011.pdf

OK, the explosion may not be dreadful as we thought in 2006:

  - The IPv4 growth has rounded up.
  - The growth is now with IPv6.
  - The Moor's Law is still saving us.

The RRG charter lists four focus items: scalability, mobility,
multi-homing, and inter-domain traffic engineering.

Then, according to your point, scalability is not an issue anymore...?

How then has LIS improved multi-homing than the status quo? How
significantly has LISP helped inter-domain traffic engineering?

It might help mobility a bit, but as far as connection resilience is
concerned, the same effect could have been met by a session layer; your
session does not break at transient breakage of transport connections.

I do take ILNP as one of the smartest LIS solution; no reservation.

My question is rather why we've indulged in LIS if routing scalability were
not an issue?

--
DY