On Nov 12, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Jakob Heitz <jakob.he...@ericsson.com> wrote:

> What explosion?
>
> http://ripe63.ripe.net/archives/video/178
> http://ripe63.ripe.net/presentations/61-2011-10-31-bgp2011.pdf

a) Explosion is an inflammatory choice of words.  It's a growth rate problem.
b) This presentation that you cite is again misguided as it simply assumes that
everything can grow at the rate of Moore's law with constant cost.  Moore's law
does NOT apply to the data plane portion of core routers.  These are NOT
commodity parts.
c) The presentation also misses out on the fact that a more significant issue
is DRAM speeds.  These don't keep up with table growth either, so growth turns
into a convergence hit.

Regards,
Tony

p.s. We are reiterating the exact same discussion that we've had for the last 8
years.  Is there a point to this?