On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 01:52:55PM +0200, thomas graichen wrote:
> here is what i get:
>
> [root@tecklenburg2 /root]# telnet localhost 10873
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> @RSYNCD: 24
> Welcome to the samba.org and PPC/Linux anonymous rsync archives.
>
> Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have problems with this service.
>
> ------
>
> and after the quit at telnet:
> @ERROR: protocol startup error
>
> also i tried to rsync from the machine b in my scheme to
> rsync.samba.org and it worked from there ... but it does
> not work if i use the describe tunnel from a to c via b
>
> hmmm - i'm out of ideas here now - how exactly does the rsync
> protocol work: i connect to the server on port 873 and this
> connection is used for all - right?

Yes, it is used for all.

You must be having a problem with your ssh client and or sshd server.
It works fine for me when I do

    ssh -L 10873:samba.org:873 shell1.sourceforge.net

and in another window do
    rsync rsync://localhost:10873
or
    rsync --port 10873 localhost::

and other people have reported that it works OK for them too.

- Dave Dykstra