[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I was taking that same tack... then, I looked again.  note:  He's on host a, telling
>it to ssh to host-b, forwarding port 873 of host-a through the ssh connection to
>host-c.
> He isn't sshing to the rsync host.  He's sshing to a machine that can rsync to
>host-c.  I thought he was just being stupid, until i realized that.  His need is
>genuine.
> He can check to see if the forwarding is working simply by telnetting to port 873.
>He should get back something like
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> telnet atlas 873
> Trying 134.27.18.37...
> Connected to atlas.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> @RSYNCD: 24
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> If he doesn't, try forwarding to remote port 23, 21, 25, 80, whatever... i don't
>know what ports work on host-c, but he can figure it out in a few seconds, by sshing
>into host-b, and trying the appropriate tests.
> Heck, we know rsyncd is supposed to be there, so he can ssh to host-b, telnet host-c
>873, and see if he gets the above type of message.  If so, troubleshoot the
>forwarding, if now, find out what port rsyncd IS on.

here is what i get:

[root@tecklenburg2 /root]# telnet localhost 10873
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
@RSYNCD: 24
Welcome to the samba.org and PPC/Linux anonymous rsync archives.

Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have problems with this service.

------

and after the quit at telnet:
@ERROR: protocol startup error

also i tried to rsync from the machine b in my scheme to
rsync.samba.org and it worked from there ... but it does
not work if i use the describe tunnel from a to c via b

hmmm - i'm out of ideas here now - how exactly does the rsync
protocol work: i connect to the server on port 873 and this
connection is used for all - right?

thomas graichen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ... perfection is reached, not
when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no
longer anything to take away. --- antoine de saint-exupery