"Michael H. Warfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> i too - but what if the other end is a public rsync server
>> without ssh access for you?

>       Then how would you establish the ssh tunnel to begin with?  Seems
> like we have a "rabit stew" situtation (first you catch your rabbit).
> If you have the ability to establish an ssh connection to begin with,
> you should then have the ability to run rsync from that end using ssh
> as the transport.  Or am I missing something here?

no - thats one cool feature of ssh: you can use it to tunnel
from host a via host b to host c - so if i connect to
localhost on my host (a) with ssh connected via

  ssh -L873:c:873 b

to the port 873 (on localhost for me on host a) i end up on
port 873 on host c (i.e. host b opens the connection to
host c for me and forwards it to me on host a) - for this to
work i don't need any ssh access on host c itself

thomas graichen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ... perfection is reached, not
when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no
longer anything to take away. --- antoine de saint-exupery