Michael Kahle wrote:

> Ok.  I'm confused.  If I step through my code line by line it would seem
> to me that it does the following:
>
> 1.) Creates a new object to dump stuff into.
> 2.) Dumps everything from the form (params) into these new objects.
> 3.) Begins the transaction.
> 4.) First updates @snowplow_registration, the ! at the end of the update
> method forces a check against the model for validation and returns any
> errors that come from the update.  If it doesn't succeed, then it is
> caught by the rescue case and then checks the @customer object for
> errors.

The "!" just causes an exception to be raised if the record
is invalid, or if saving was prevented by a callback.

Here you've already checked that both the records are valid,
so you just want to ensure that any other problem causes
the propagation of an app-wide exception (which will also
rollback the transaction). Also, you have already updated
the records from the user-form using attributes=.

Therefore you want to use save_without_validation! rather than
update_attributes!, save!, or save.

--
Rails Wheels - Find Plugins, List & Sell Plugins - http://railswheels.com