>Mark Reginald James wrote:
>> Michael Kahle wrote:
>
>> errors.
> The "!" just causes an exception to be raised if the record
> is invalid, or if saving was prevented by a callback.

Ok.

> Here you've already checked that both the records are valid,
> so you just want to ensure that any other problem causes
> the propagation of an app-wide exception (which will also
> rollback the transaction). Also, you have already updated
> the records from the user-form using attributes=.

Correct.  When you say, "Here you've already checked that both the
records are valid...", you must be referencing the way you coded it.  I
don't think I'm checking it any time before I run the "update.bla.bla!"
method.  See my other post.  I think I do not understand when Rails does
it's checking automatically.

> Therefore you want to use save_without_validation! rather than
> update_attributes!, save!, or save.

Sure. If I can get it straightened out, when Rails is doing its
non-explicit checking; via - valid?, .save!, update.bla.bla! or
otherwise, I am sure you are correct here and would see a (perhaps only
minor, but still better!) performance upgrade.