Hi Rick,

> when convenient, take a look at the NetBeans IDE
I definitely will as soon as I'm done with this payroll project.  I
presently use ScitTE because IMHO it's excellent for Ruby.  But I
can't use it effectively for Rails.  I looked at Aptana a little,  but
on my system the startup is too slow to suit me.

> csv_data_dir = RAILS_ROOT + "/public/data/csv"
You're absolutely right on your initial thought:  My code doesn't
return anything from the .csv files.
I posted this issue on another thread express certainty that your
suggestion is the correct solution.

> I'm in the last stages of correction a typo when I generated a model in this
> app: I used a transposition of .csv, viz. .cvs.  Being pigheaded,  I decided
> to correct the app by programatically translating all /[Cc]vs/ instances in
> file names and file content to '\1sv".  On the final step,  I encountered a
> permissions problem in changing filenames.  When I overcome that, I'll get
> back to the file access issue and then the features my client (my son) wants
> for this app.

Thanks for your extended interest and knowledgeable responses.

Best wishes,
Richard