Hi Fred,

Thanks for giving further thought to my humble problem.  Especially
for the following:

> you have been restarting mongrel
> whenever you edit environment.rb ?

No,  I had not been restarting Mongrel immediately upon making a
change to the config/environment.rb.  I was blindly following the
guidance that in development mode,  all the changes to the app are
picked  when refreshing the web-page.  But I certainly restarted
Mongrel after I made a bunch of changes to the app,  so that my
revised environment code would have been picked up then.  (I left my
environment changes in place even though they seemed not to work.)

> that the content
> viewable at localhost:3000 is being served by that mongrel ?

Yes. When I first address my browser to localhost:3000,  my current
app comes up and  my logger.info stuff appears in the Command Window
(under Microsoft WindowsXP-Pro/SP3) in which Mongrel is executing.

Best wishes,
Richard