Absent any agreement to the contrary, "the act of creation defines a copyright
with the author ... no registration is needed for this right to be in place ...
rights can only be transferred or licensed deliberately ... any rights not
explicitly licensed or transferred remain with the author". (Loose paraphrase
of the Copyright Action of 1976.)

Walter