use whatever you are most comfortable with. mac/textmate is a good
combo. linux/kate is IMHO good, too. even windows might be alright for
some people. there are people outthere that prefer to use an IDE.
there are many around and some of them run on most OS.

personally, i like linux better than mac, because i've been using it
for my desktop-pc at home for a very long time. i got used to its look
and feel and love the console.
mac is alright, too. textmate is a great editor with tons of plugins.
once you get accustomed to a mac, it's actually really nice to work
with.

the main thing is: you should feel good using whatever tools or
operating systems. as i already said in another (very similar thread):
i don't think it's a very good idea to try to learn how to use a new
operating system whilst trying to master a new language/framework. so
if you are a beginner, my advance would be: don't change whatever you
are running (maybe later).