On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Mark Turner <m...@amerine.net> wrote:
> Rails is a mature framework

No, it's not.

How can you say something like that after everything that's changed
from 2.2 -> 2.3 ?  Or knowing what's likely to change with 3.0 when
more of Merb gets merged in?

When I read things like "middleware layers being completely rewritten"
it leads me to question why they were written so incorrectly to start
with that they needed to be completely rewritten.  When I read things
like "memory sessions have been removed" I gotta wonder who thought
they were a good idea to start with?  Newsflash: some of use were
using those.  (Yes I'm aware of how to get them back using the plugin,
that's not the point.)  If you're gonna put something in there, have a
good reason for putting it in there, have a reason so good that you
won't later find an opposing reason strong enough to remove it.

The Rails API and docs change constantly and are often out of sync.
Last month for example, api.rubyonrails.com was showing new 2.3
features before 2.3 was even released.  How'd you like to be a new guy
scratching his head over grouped_options_for_select being in the docs
but not in the framework?  I could much more easily accept the reverse
case.

And what about the gem servers that are constantly up and down?  How
can newcomers have any faith in Rail's maturity when you can't even
install it sometimes?

And what about the book situation?  Rails is changing so much, so fast
that a Rails book you buy today will be useless 6 months from now.  I
have 8 and 10 year old Perl books that I still use to this very day.

I love working in Rails, it's the fastest way I know of to build a
website, but mature is the last thing I'd ever say about it.  I have
absolutely no faith in the API remaining the same from even a .1 to a
.2 release, much less 2.x  to 3.0.  If you can't count on the
user-level API being stable how can you even begin to say it's mature?

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/