Because HTTP is stateless, information that is stored while navigating
from page to page, even if it's just from one page to another, has to
be stored somewhere.  One solution to this is to use a session
database, but even then, the session id is usually stored in a
cookie.  For things like the flash in a RoR rails app, cookies are the
better solution as the flash just relay's messages related to the
state of the application.

I believe there is going to be in-browser storage as part of the W3C
HTML 5 standard but until then we are stuck with cookies