SpringFlowers AutumnMoon wrote:
> is it true that Rails depend on cookies?  It seems that flash is a part
> of session, and session uses cookies... so when i disable cookie in
> Firefox, what was working became
>
> ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken
>
> so is it true that for a RoR app to work, cookies are mandatory?

FYI: Cookies are required for practically every web based application on
the internet. This is not at all unique to Rails. There are only a
limited number of ways to maintain session state. 1. Using cookies (my
guess is > 80% of sites use this method), 2. Putting a session id in the
URL (ugly, but works). 3. Hidden fields in forms to pass state from one
request to another (very ugly, but requires no client-side storage of
state). 4. HTML 5 local session storage (not practical since it'll take
Microsoft years to support HTML 5. They can barely do HTML 4).

I believe option 4 is the way forward since it provides all the benefits
of cookies, and practically none of their shortcomings. Just don't
expect that to be practical anytime soon. Note: Safari 4 public beta has
complete support for HTML 5 local storage (maybe others too). Let's just
hope the others eventually catch up.