On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Frank Guerino <
rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> Conrad Taylor wrote:
> > First, I would highly recommend purchasing the book, "Programming Ruby
> > 1.9" because you will need a reasonably good foundation of the
> > language of Rails.  Second, I would recommend getting the book, "Agile
> > Web Development with Rails 3ed" because it includes a step by step
> > tutorial and a reference section.  In short, you'll have to invest
> > some time in finding these and other resources yourself and try to
> > show a bit of appreciation when people go out their way to assist you.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > -Conrad
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Oct 27, 2009, at 6:21 PM, Frank Guerino
> > <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net
>

> Hi Conrad,
>
> Thanks for the references.  I'm doing my best to look at as many as I
> can.  The real issue is there are so many to look into.  The reason for
> coming here and asking everyone for their opinion on the best references
> is for the same reason the Ruby community believes in convention over
> coding... Convention comes from other people's experiences and I believe
> I'll learn more about the right references to look at, in a few short
> conversations on the forum than I will going out and randomly looking
> for and reading things on my own.  Why waste the time when there are
> many brilliant people that have already suffered the same problem.
>

> As for your comment on showing a bit of appreciation when people go out
> of their way to assist, I believe I was truly grateful and thanked those
> who helped, as can be witnessed above.  If my means of thanking others
> doesn't conform to your liking, we can always take that conversation off
> line, which I always find far more mature and professional than
> criticizing people publicly.  After all, we're all just looking for help
> or ways of helping others.

There's no need to take the thread off line because others will learn from
the
information here.  Anyway, I would recommend taking in this information in
small digestible chunks.  For example, http://guides.rails.info or
http://guides.rubyonrails.org
will be the most current information on rails because it's kept pretty much
in sync with the state
of the released Rails API.  Next, I would recommend working on self
generated projects to
enforce the learning of the material.  Last but not least, get comfortable
with things going wrong
and troubleshooting issues.

Good luck,

-Conrad